How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gary Your Own Question
Gary, Technician
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 17176
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
Type Your Ford Question Here...
Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 1998 Ford f150 4.6 L. It has been leaking oil from

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1998 Ford f150 4.6 L. It has been leaking oil from the oil filter adapter which is p/n 6861. I would like to change the gasket for it do I have to unbolt the engine mount and raise the engine in order to do so
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is this a 4X4 ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at the ford parts site the only way I see this one is to look at the oil cooler 6A642 and on the diagram it shows it is 6861 but then try to search that p/n nothing comes up
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes remove the radiator shroud and you need to remove the engine mount bolts then jack up or lift up the engine to access and replace the housing gasket

this is a big job it usually takes 4 to 5 hours to change that gasket

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At what spot can I jack the engine at and do I need to remove mounts on both sides
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

i would on both sides yes

usually a block of wood under the oil pan and a floor jack will do the trick and not damage the oil pan

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at justanswer