Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My name is ***** ***** and my issue is regarding my 89

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** and my issue is regarding my 89 bronco II

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes of course, okay so this problem has been occurring for sometime now. First what happened is you could be driving and it would just die on you. Let it sit for 10-15 and it'd start up and you could drive it, then it'd do the samething. So my dad and I replace both fuels pumps, fuel filter, distributor, both fuel relays, spark plugs, cleaned iac motor and just replaced the tps ( we thought was the issue, old tps was very loose). We drove it around the block after replacing the tps and she drove amazing. Later on he told me I should run it and see if it's fixed or if the issues pursues still. Let it warm up, she died while idiling, fired her back up and drove her about a block or two and she died on me again. It seems like once the engine hits a certain temp it shuts off, it's not over heating though the temp gauge takes forever to even move, my dad and I are baffled

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/26/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question and sorry for the delay.

When the engine dies on you and will not start can you pull the coil wire off of the coil and have a helper crank the engine over and see if you are getting a nice blue spark from the coil tower. Check this for me and let me know the results and I will help you get this problem figured out. Post back when you can and we can work from there.

My dad says I don't have a coil, I have distributor
I just went out and she started right up

Your dad is mistaken, You do have a coil, the coil provide the spark to the distributor. Follow the center wire on the distributor cap over to the coil where ti connects.

Okay I will check when I get home and see. Sorry for taking awhile to get back to you, I work all the time but I appreciate you being patient with me

No problem, post back when you have the time and we can work from there.

From what I saw when I had my dad turn the engine over I'm getting a nice blue spark from the coil tower

Okay did you check it when it was not starting or was it starting okay when you tested it?

It starts up every time I turn the key. I let it idle after the test no knocks or weird strange noises, but it did die eventually after it idling for about 20 min. It seems like the engine wants to just shut off when it hits a certain temperature. My dad talked with an older mechanic the other day and he said it might be the tfi module or icm that's on the distributor because it also seems to die when I go over 35 mph

I would have to agree with your dads Mechanic and thats why you need to check for the lack of spark from the coil once it stalls and dose not want to start. If you find no spark is present then your likely looking at a bad TFI module and when you replace it your best served to replace the pick up in the distributor as well.

I got what you're saying now. Yea we're getting a decent spark from the coil tower. I do know the guy who had it before me he said he replaced the whole distributor, it does look fairly new, think that the new module could be just a faulty one?

No I do not as long as you are getting a nice blue spark. Your going to need to check it when the engine will not start. As I am sure you know in order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure. Its going to come down to figuring out which one you are lacking when it will not start.

I gotcha, I'll start it here in a little and wait for it to die and check it then. On another note my dad talked to my pap's friend about the issue at hand and he said that it could be some inertia switch, but how do you check the fuel pressure? I know where the fuel rail and everything is, I just have never checked the fuel pressure on a vehicle before
I started it up and waited for it die, still was getting a nice spark after she died. Sorry I thought I hit send when I wrote this earlier before I went to work

Okay as you know it take good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure in order for the engine to start and run. Its going to come down to determine which one you are lacking when it dies.

what would the next test be to do?

If you sure you have good spark the the next steps would be to check for injector pulse as well as proper fuel pressure (32 to 45 PSI) when it will not start.

Okay I'll check that here sometime in the afternoon today, I'll have to grab a pressure gauge, I don't think my dad has one. I'll let you know once I find out the result of the test

Okay , let me know and we can work from there.