Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

E150 1998 4.6l. Coolant issue- water pump replaced, sensor…

Customer Question
E150 1998 4.6l. Coolant issue-...
E150 1998 4.6l. Coolant issue- water pump replaced, sensor replaced, thermastat replaced twice, bottom radiator hose replaced, pressure checked will not hold but when cooled and tank open it has pressure. Runs hot quick then cools quick, heater not working, not seeing any obvious water coolant leakage- suspecting head gasket- seems to be air trapped in system it has been bled several times- any other suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/26/2016
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 2 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Have you done a block test on the cooling system? This is a test the checks for engine combustion gases in the cooling system which can be caused by a blown head gasket.

Any auto parts store will sell this kit. You check it at the coolant degas bottle with the engine running.

This is the best way to check for a blown head gasket. If it is really bad, you will get coolant mixing with the oil and turning the oil into a milky substance that looks like really light chocolate milk on the oil dipstick.