Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am trying to disconnect a quick connect fuel line from the…

Customer Question
I am trying to disconnect...
I am trying to disconnect a quick connect fuel line from the fuel pump on a 1996 Ford f-150. I've tried using the tool and I've even tried making my own from marker cap. The coupling seems to be extra long and I'm afraid everything I've tried has been to short. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/25/2016
Ford Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

Usually the problem is dirt in the fitting, use silicone spray to wash the dirt out and lubricate the fitting and run the tool all the way in the coupler, there are several styles so maybe stop at the parts store with yours and compare to get a longer one. I use a pair of vise grips loosely on the pipe to push the tool into the coupler. Hold it in tight and twist the line back and forth and then pull as you twist.

You do mean pump and not filter?

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you