Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Earlier this evening my wife, my son and me were out doing…

Customer Question
Hello. Earlier this evening my...
Hello. Earlier this evening my wife, my son and me were out doing some shopping for our new house. When we were leaving the hardware store my wife noticed the dash lights weren't on when leaving. So we pulled into a parking lot and I messed with the illumination switch and it didn't fix the dash light. Than I began to turn the manual headlight switch to the off position and my headlights were stuck on. So I began to check all fuses. None blown but replaced all with new. After arriving to an auto parts store I attempted to replace the manual headlight switch. That wasn't the issue. I than came across a check engine light with code P1633 (Keep Alive Power Voltage Too Low) after doing some research it led me to possible PCM replacement. After hearing it will cost me $219 to replace the PCM I had them order it and will be at the store tomorrow sometime. So as we were leaving we noticed to have no taillights now. When we returned home I pulled the PCM and noticed some light moisture were the connector and PCM meet. I than looked over the wires from the harness that connects to the PCM and notices one slightly sliced wire which I will fix (Also this wire is colored black which makes me believe this is a ground). What is my issues on this matter. How can I clear this code and fix my lighting issue. If I am needing to replace the PCM than it looks like it will be that way but I'm looking at least costly especially after buying a house. Thank you in advance!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/25/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

The code you got will not prevent starting or running nor effect the lights. The wiring issue you found, PCM, will not effect the dash and parking lights. For the code, at the PCM check the red/white wire pin 55 from fuse 2 under the hood it should have battery voltage all the time. If it does and the connector and pin are clean then it does mean the PCM needs to be replaced, but again this will not harm anything leaving it alone. Also you have to program the PCM and keys to the vehicle during a PCM swap, its not plug and play.

For the lights, remove the headlight switch, while still plugged up, the headlights on, the dash alights and exterior parking lights not working are the light blue/red and light blue/black and brown wires powered?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

I just tested the #2 fuses under the hood with a light tester grounded to the battery. I do get power when testing so does this mean to replace the PCM? & so far I'm digging into my lighting issue from your response.

You have to check the wire at the PCM as well to see if the KAM circuit wire is broken.

What do I need to check? Sorry I need a good walk thru.

Which part of the concern are you needing a better explanation?

Where you stated, "You have to check the wire at the PCM as well to see if the KAM circuit wire is broken."

Unplug the PCM and check the red/white wire pin 55. It is from this fuse #2. This is the KAM circuit the one you have the code for. Make sure the wire is not broken by checking voltage and make sure the pin is not broken in the connector.

Would the moisture I noticed inbetween the plug and PCM have fault with this?

It can be to blame.

Okay what should the voltage run on the red/white wire leading from Pin 55/Fuse 2? & if it isn't running at this correct voltage what's the next step?
Update on my lights. Opened up the fuse box under the hood and Fuse #6 (Day Time Running Lights) was blown. Lights came back on in the rear and so did the running lights. Fuse blew tho. I thought I heard something sizzling so I plunged another one in and correct I did her a sizzling sound but went away and didn't pop again. My lights are actin all weird but it's probably cause my PCM isn't plugged in correct? But they all work just not all at one function.

You should get battery voltage. If not then the wire is damaged.

The PCM has nothing to do with the lights, it only controls the engine and transmission.

The fuse that failed, failed because there is a short to ground. So it is going to soon pop again once that damaged wire touches the chassis again.

.

What's the best way to find the short for my fuse # *****?

You would need the fuse to blow all the time to find this short because this fuse powers the headlight switch, then the wire goes ALL over the vehicle to every light that come on with the parking lights on. We would need to start unplugging connectors inline to disable parts of the circuit till we found a section when disabled no longer blows the fuse. Could you tell where the sizzle was coming from?

Okay last night I decided to let everything dry out. So today I went to plug everything together and try and start my vehicle to see if there is any malfunctions and now it won't start. Does a rapid click & gauges go crazy

Now it sounds like the battery is weak, is the battery voltage good at 12.6 volts on the posts and clamps?