Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2000 ford excursion with the v-10 in it keeps spiking the…

Customer Question
my 2000 ford excursion with...
my 2000 ford excursion with the v-10 in it keeps spiking the temp gauge and then goes into the safe shut down mode but sometimes you pull over and turn off for a minute or 2 and start again and will be fine for awhile
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/25/2016
Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** is a fairly common problem caused by failed ignition coil. Use a spark tester to see if each coil can jump a 25kv gap and replace any coil that seems to have weak spark. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

what would that have to do with the truck overheating though the blower only blows cool air out of it also

If temp goes back to normal range after shutting off for only a couple minutes that would point toward there not being an actual overheating problem. Does heat ever work? Does vehicle ever run like it should for any long periods? Thanks.

not since it started doing this also it seems you can let it idle and it will be fine when you go to drive it is when it does it but it will do it again after you turn it off when driving after awhile and it actually will blow out of the cap when it does it
it use to do it once in a blue moon but now it is much more constant could a bad heater core make it do it

A bad heater core can cause overheating but not usually. At this point I'd suspect a clogged heater core or head gaskets. The coils are common to fail causing gauge to spike and put vehicle in safe mode but from your description it sounds like vehicle is actually overheating. So at this point I'd flush out heater core with a garden hose to see if that helps if not do a combustion test which checks for exhaust gas in coolant, if exhaust gas is in coolant this means head gasket is leaking. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

ok thanks will try tomorrow but how and what do you need for combustion test and can it be done at home

You will need to buy combustion tester, I know you can buy them on ebay for around $65 and it is something you can do at home. You should be able to buy same kit from your local parts store too. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

ok thanks

No problem, keep me updated. Thanks.

Dan, Technician