Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am being told that my car is in sleep mode. If you start…

Customer Question
I am being told that...
I am being told that my car is in sleep mode. If you start the car it struggles ( I say like not getting proper air) but apparently if you full throttle it and keep it at 2-3 rpm it runs soothe. 2005 Ford Escape
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/24/2016
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Is your check engine light on? Or has it been on for a while?

the check engine light is on
came on before the car stop
Are you working on an answer?

Several things can cause this concern. Most common on the Escape is a vacuum leak.

It would be helpful also if you could have the computer checked to see what code is stored. That is a good indication of what is going on.

where is that? and how to fix it?

The vacuum leak can be from the intake gaskets, or one of the pcv hoses on the front or rear valve cover. That lines and hoses should be inspected first.

Listening for any sucking noises when the engine is running can help find any vacuum leaks.

How many hose is there? Should they be replaced?

There are a few hoses. 1 on each valve cover and there is a bigger hose to the intake. The elbows on the hoses are made of rubber and they can get soft and leak. But if they are not soft then there is no reason to replace them.

Can you tell me if this is a 4 or 6 cyl. I am assuming it is the 6.

6 cyl 3.0
do you have a picture

So those are some things that you can just check. Getting the code from the computer would be super helpful.

I looked through the shop manual and there are no pictures that show the entire thing.