Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Installing new bearings and race on 97 tacoma, left side…

Customer Question
Installing new bearings and race...
Installing new bearings and race on 97 tacoma,
left side went on fine but the right side is very tight.
Right side seems to have a little edge like a bur ,what can i use to smooth the spindle?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/23/2016
Ford Mechanic: sarmiento22556, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
sarmiento22556
sarmiento22556, Auto Service Technician

Hello, I will try to help you with your concern.

first is this a 2 or 4wd drive?

is this the front or rear bearings?

what are you experiencing that's tight? the races going on the spindle?

were the bearings damaged, very noisy on the right side?

The vehicle is a 2wd and the problem is on the right front.
I have replace the races and once I try to install the outer bearing it will not slide onto the spindle.
Tried to slide the old bearing which will not slide on either.I am replacing brakes rotors ,bearings and races.
Seems to be a small bur this stopping the bearing from sliding onto the spindle.
No damage to old bearings

ok thanks for the information.

very strange that there is a burr and no damaged to said bearings

you should be able to use a piece of emery cloth to sand the spindle to smooth out any burrs that might be present.

start with 80 grit and move to 180 if necessary.

sand until the race goes on smoothly

do you have any more questions? I would really like to close out this question before the end of the month