Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ok so I have a 05 expedition 5.4 v8. It ran great thus

Customer Question
Ok so I have a...
Ok so I have a 05 expedition 5.4 v8. It ran great thus morning with no issues at all. 8 hours later I was leaving work and came to a stop sign and the truck started shaking vigorously. I drove it down the road and it had very little power to it. I then turned it off and restarted it the idle was rough. So I put it in neutral at signs and worked the throttle. Once I could get it up to 40 it was as if there were no problems at all. It took it everything to get up a hill it would bog down a lot with the throttle down going up the hill. I got it to my parents where it sits so I pulled some codes. P0022, p0012, p2196, and pending were p0021, p0174, p0300 and misfires in 2, 3 and 4. Is it possible the vct solenoids are clogged up? I hope I didn't skip timing getting it to my parents. I have read an identical post where the gentleman had all of my codes and his vcts were the culprit. Then there are the other dreaded stories.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/23/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

Your codes are for timing advance and retard issues, O2 sensor lean/rich issues. You also mentioned misfire codes on 234. Though the timing codes are for the other side of the engine. It does look like the concerns are going to be related to the cam phasers and oil pressure to them. Are you going to be doing the repairs yourself?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

I'll be doing the repairs. I have had my hands on plenty of motors inside and out. Oil pressure is solid. I just ordered some vcts on the safe side. But I'd still like to hear some breakdown advice from you. Unfortunately I'm 40 miles from my parents or I'd be out there right now checking the solenoids. My dealer who has the same expedition said he had this problem also and he changed his plugs and coils and his problems went away. But i don't see that many coils failing at once.

My suggestion will be to remove the cams, VCTs, chains, tensioners, and guides. Use air and brake cleaner to blow out all the oil ports in the heads in the cam journals, then clean out the cam timing valve bodies. Inspect for stretched chains and worn tensioners and guides. Then replace the phasers, and any parts found worn or damaged. Do you need some Ford diagrams?

Sure i could use some diagrams I'm sure they will be useful doing this kinda breakdown. I'll let you know what i find I'm sure someone else would appreciate the post.

I see this alot in all different stages from not bad to really bad and in some cases a new engine needed.

See the links below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/excamR.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/excamL.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/extime.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/exphaser.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/exvct.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/exoil.pdf

It was the vct solenoids. After replacement for both the CEL never returned I also followed up with an oil change truck has returned to great performance with improved acceleration

Glad you got it resolved.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris