Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The backup lights on the 2006 mercury mariner we just

Customer Question
Hi - the backup...

Hi - the backup lighst on the 2006 mercury mariner we just purchased do not come on

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Great thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes. we don't have anyone near

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Or can afford right now

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?

The dome light and door ajar lights were flickering on and off for awhile. it seems to be ok right now.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/23/2016
Ford Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

Is there any evidence this car has been rebuilt or in a flood?

Are you able to remove the lamps and check for power to the lamp socket?

We checked the lamps. No power to the lamp sockets. It doesn't appear to have been in a flood. We were wonder if the reverse light switch needed to be replaced.

Sorry I was offline for the night when you replied

The way this circuit works is the lever moves the switch which tells the engine computer that you are in reverse. The computer puts that information out on the communication buss and the smart junction block closes a relay which sends power to the lights.

You can check fuse #29 in the smart junction block to see that it does have power with the key in the run or start position. If it does then the fault could be in the switch, or the smart junction block. If you have power at the fuse then a scantool capable of reading the switch state would be necessary to check the rest of the communication.

Please let me know what you find and how I can help

Thank you