Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 f250 4wd not switching over until back on solid ground.

Customer Question
2008 f250 4wd not...

2008 f250 4wd not switching over until back on solid ground. Is it because I'm trying to engage it while already slipping?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Just that the back will start slipping and I'll switch it over to 4wd and it will not engage. But after I get pulled out and start going on solid ground again I can feel it engage. It does take about 15 seconds to get out of 4wd after it does finally engage.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/22/2016
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** this is because the rear wheels are slipping, what you need to do in this instance, is put the transmission in neutral before switching it to 4wd, and wait for the transfer case to engage, have you tried this?

I have. I don't know if I just didn't wait long enough for it to change over, but the dash shows it in 4 high or 4 low but its as if it just doesn't lock in the wheels.
  1. ok, that is different then, if the transfer case goes into 4hi, but the wheels dont spin, this is a problem with the vacuum hubs in the front wheels, have you checked the vacuum at each wheel when you switch it to 4hi, it should lose vacuum to engage the hubs?
Well the funny thing is, after I get pulled out and its still showing Im in 4hi, it finally kicks in. then it takes about 20-30 seconds to go back into 2wd

ok, this is most likely the switch for the hubs, follow the vacuum line from one of the front wheels, it will go to this switch on the drivers side fender well, under the hood, we need to see the vacuum with the egine running, going into the switch, and then check the vacuum coming out to the front wheels, with the engine running, and its in 2wd, there should be no vacuum going to the wheels, and then switch to 4wd and see how long it takes for vacuum to come out to the hweels, can you check this?

Im going to go check it right quick, one second.
Now the lights aren't showing up on the dash. Im assuming a fuse is out now?
aslo, my tow haul light wont come on, they are powered by the same fuse correct?

yes.can you check the F11 fuse and the F35 fuse?

What amp are those, Ive got a few extra laying around so Ill just replace them.

they are both 10 amps

ok

let me know,Tim

PThanks,Tim

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim