Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am buying a f-250 2007 6.0L truck today.... the check

Customer Question
I am buying a...

I am buying a f-250 2007 6.0L truck today.... the check engine light is on and the ABS light is on.... The seller said it was caused by the EGR delete or EGR being removed...

Mechanic's Assistant: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Is it true? Check engine light is OK to be on?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

I want to know if the seller is hiding something.,..

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?

I am buying the truck from a guy that just bought it from an auction... the truck has been for sell for a month...

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/22/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thnak you for your question,

If the engine has had the EGR delete kit it can cause the check engine light to come on but should not have any affect on the ABS system. If the ABS light is on then that means the ABS system is seeing a fault not related to the EGR and in order to know what is failing you are going to need to start with having the system scanned to see what the fault codes are that should be setting. If you can give me your Vin number I can run the Oasis report through Ford which should give us a much better idea of the history of this truck.

vin 1ftsf20px7eb48458

Both the Oasis as well as the warranty repair history look pretty good with no major reported issues. See then both in the links below. copy and past the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/oasi%20feb%2022.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Warrantey%20report%20Feb%2022.pdf

That being said I would still advise you to at least have the system scanned to see what fault codes are setting because a EGR delete kit can turn on the check engine light but not the ABS. If the ABS light is on then that indicates you have a problem with the ABS system. The code scan would at least give you some idea of what it is.

are there any other issues that is known to turn the Check Engine light on with this model?where can i find all of the codes for understanding the F-250 V8 6.0L scan?Can I buy a scanner that will work in the ford and Honda, BMW and Lexus?
I felt the ABS was different than EGR delete.... I think the guy just wants to sell this truck and remove his troubles and give them to me... the selling price was first $7500, then he dropped it to $6500, and after I told him I could raise $6000 and the ABS is a brake issue, NOT an EGR delete issue, he said $6000 is ok if I buy it today...

You may be okay at $6000. I do not suspect the ABS is going to be a major issue. A code scan will give us a better idea.

are there any other issues that is known to turn the Check Engine light on with this model?
-where can i find all of the codes for understanding the F-250 V8 6.0L scan?
-Can I buy a scanner that will work in the ford and Honda, BMW and Lexus?

There are but I would suspect its EGR related. The same code scan would would give us a better idea once we know the fault code and or codes. You can stop by any local parts store such as Auto Zone and get the scan done at no charge. I can provide you with the code definitions as well as there likely cause.

Ron, I would like to drive to the seller (1 hr away) and plug in my scanner into the truck.... Also I want to scan other cars that have issues.... Is there a scanner that you recommend?
Also, while i am with the seller tonight, I can tell him what is wrong with this truck based on the scan and get the best price and save myself another trip.

You can get a good code reader at any parts store for under a $100 dollars which should retrieve the fault codes.