Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Triton head drive side over heated....what are the possible…

Customer Question
Triton head drive side...

Triton head drive side over heated....what are the possible issues???

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Head gasket, or head is cracked...blew water out of the exhaust....what happens with these heads???

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

I tried a sealent and it seem to work but still get a loud knocking of the driver side

Mechanic's Assistant: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Ford Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: What else should I tell the Ford Mechanic?

??

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
The head was over heating some time a go....I thought the sensor was bad but obviously not because the head had cracked or the head gasket has blown...just need to know more about possible issue and best resources for fixing this head....have the Haynes manual but not always confident this is the best resource to tackle this problem
2/22/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

It sounds like you have an internal failure, possibly a cracked head or head gasket, but not normally accompanied by a knocking noise. What year, model, and engine size do you have? All that came through was "Ford".

2003 ford.....the knocking occurs when I hit the gas...at idle it does not sound.
I work swings on the West coast....12 hours shifts...I will check your response when I can...5.4 Triton motor....not sure if this is 2 valve or 3 valve,
Any ideas???

I'm sorry, this one has me a little stumped. I pulled a unit into the shop today with the exact same engine and one of my technicians and I looked for anything on the driver's side that could be making a noise other than a valve train noise.

I guess I'm not really clear about what yours is doing.

If there is a valve train problem you will almost always get a check engine light. I have a 2012 5.4l in the shop right now that has a serious clunk coming from the passenger valve cover and it has an accompanying lean code on that bank.

When you say that water/coolant came out, where did it come from?

Exhaust....I will be more specific tomorrow...thanks

Is it possible that the fluid you are seeing in the exhaust is just condensation? A coolant leak in the exhaust would indicate a major engine failure.

I appreciate your responses....been tied down a work...I want to give u more information.....is there an easy way to crack the exhaust to see what head is blowing water by it????by the way, I have put in many inserts for the spark plugs being blown out of the heads...so is there an after market head for this??? Or is it pick and pull???? Thanks again for your timely reaponses

There are some very expensive afermarket "racing heads" out there that tend to clear up the blown out plug problem and also offer some performance gains. I don't have much personal experience with them, but I'm pretty sure I have seen them recently on summitracing.com or jegs.com.

You could pull the bolts on either of the exhaust manifolds and pull them away from the head and then run the engine to see if you are getting coolant in the exhaust, but again, this is rare on that engine.