Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ok here we go with Construction Inc. I have purchased

Customer Question
Ok here we go my...
Ok here we go my name is ***** ***** with ***** ***** Construction Inc. I have purchased several Ford Trucks since 2001 thru 2005 F-250 F-350's and F-450's. But one of the trucks really has been a pain in the rear. 2003 Ford F-350 7.3 Diesel Power Stroke Super Duty 4x4 4-door. My personal truck never really worked just road miles from Job to Job Good Truck up until 60,000.00 miles then transmission was going out. Had 100,000.00 mile Drive train warranty. had a little problem with Ford wanting to foot the bill. But after a cordial letter to the dealership owner and the dealership service manager. Every thing worked out fine. Until just over 100,000.00 miles around 4,000.00 over the warranty. Late one night I was driving out of the office parking lot. And had drove about 1.5 miles and had not driven the truck since lunch the same day, so around 9 to 10 hrs. Then all at once I started smell something burning from behind the dash. Then a lot of smoke then all lights went off on the truck. I pulled over and got out of the truck and let the smoke clear. got my flashlight and took off the fuse box panel under the steering column and in the center of the fuse box or panel was a hole burned about the size of a quarter. Had the truck towed back to the office that night. So the next morning I called The Ford Dealership that had previously dealt with and where I purchased the truck. and explained what had happened. And basically said sorry but at that time there were no recalls. they have heard of a couple of trucks that have caught a fire but there had not been enough vehicles at that time for Ford to warrant a recall for that problem. And they where sorry at that time due to the mileage they where not going to be able to help with my misfortune. So after the next year trying to get some help from Ford with no luck. I had an accident and broke my back. And the truck has been setting for the last Five to Six years. hadn't been able to get in and out of the truck until now anyway had purchased and been driving a Dodge Magnum. "Lower to the ground" It appears that the problem started at the head light on and off switch to the left of the steering. burned the wiring harness to the fuse panel burned the hole in the fuse through two layers of it and then started burning wires heading behind the dash I don't think it got to the stereo or the ac/ heat but it did go through the firewall into engine area about 12"inches guessing. Any suggestions what may have caused the problem. Or if Ford ever had any recalls pertaining to this problem.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
2/22/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

I did a check and there are no TSBs, SSMs, or FSAs from Ford for the dash wire harness or fuse box melting or catching on fire. Normally when I find a burnt fuse box I find that someone had a short and blown fuse and installed the wrong amp fuse. Someone would need to see it in person to try and make a logical guess where the problem began. You would have to search for the wiring that was the hottest for the longest time which may be tough to do with all the wiring that is there. Its not like a house where there are 3 wires in a bundle. The only recall that may possibly be connected is the speed control deactivation switch. The brake pressure switch on the master cylinder leaks and brake fluid gets into the wiring and connector. This recall should of been performed long ago though but worth unplugging the switch to see if there is a leak present.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician