Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 F-250 V-10 takes a time to shift from 1-2, 2-3, and…

Customer Question
1999 F-250 V-10 takes a...
1999 F-250 V-10 takes a long time to shift from 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. Happens when cold and hot. Has 148,000 miles and shifter is a little loose, but replaced shifter handle and no improvement in shift quality. Replaced trans filter and fluid, no improvement. Any suggestions that a back yard mechanic could do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/22/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

Any warning lights on or flashing?

Was the previous fluid dark and did it have an odor?

Does this concern occur under all amounts of throttle application?

No warning light.Previous fluid was slightly dark (not burnt) - no unusual odor.Problem occurs on all throttle positions, but gets worse the more throttle applied.

Thanks, ***** ***** have access to a good diagnostic tool that can monitor sensors on the engine to see there reading to the PCM?

Have you ever worked on a transmission?

I have an OBD-II CAN plus ABS scan tool that I can hook up to it, but without it throwing any warning lights I don't think the scan tool would offer anything new - am I wrong?Although I have rebuilt many engines, I have always left the mysteries of an auto trans to the experts, however I might be willing to do some "on vehicle" repairs. Is there a 'shift modulator' that I could get to without taking the trans off the vehicle?

Sounds like your tool can only read codes not see live data from sensors, is that correct?

To have all shifts harsh you either have a incorrect sensor input signal to the PCM telling the PCM your demanding a high load thus the PCM telling the transmission to work under full pressure or you have a concern with the pressure control valves or EPC solenoid at the valve body and pump. Without knowing if the PCM is causing this we may be addressing a trans issue that is in fact not a trans concern. Do you have hydraulic pressure gauges?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Sorry, no hydraulic pressure gauges. Is there an easy to get to, inexpensive solenoid that I can replace to check and eliminate the easier part before tearing into the trans completely?

You have a 4R100 transmission. All of the solenoids are in a pack together access by removing the pan and filter. It is bolted in and there is an external connector on the transmission.

Can you suggest where I might find a schematic or video of the solenoid pack removal/replacement?

I have those steps, see the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/solenoidbody.pdf

I like to stay in contact with my customers. I assume you were not pleased with me or my answer since you did not rate it leaving me feedback. Just so you know we can still work on this issue. We can pick up where we left off or start over. I hate you paid all that money for your question deposit and have left not satisfied. Would any diagrams or repair guides or a phone call help?.

Thanks Chris