Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 F250 5.4L runs rough. P0345, clear, P0349 clear and now…

Customer Question
2008 F250 5.4L runs...

2008 F250 5.4L runs rough. P0345, clear, P0349 clear and now P0344 constant will not clear.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Before engine light. good oil pressure. instant gauge at 0; then good oil pressure for a three time sequence. Now engine runs rough with what sounds life lifter noise

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes. Unless special test equipment is required

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

All I have done is start truck and read codes and clear codes. All with good oil pressure

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?

140,000 miles. was driving 75 speed limit when oil pressure was good,0, good. No prior engine problems

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/22/2016
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 2 years ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

first, stop clearing the codes, it does nothing for the problem. there is freeze frame data stored when a code sets and that info can be valuable when trying to determine the failure

the engine noise, is it all the time or just when the gauge goes to 0??

Roy

the 344,345,349 codes are related to cam sensor readings. this could all be related to your oil pressure issue. if you do loose oil pressure as you indicated, the tensioners for the timing chains need oil pressure to keep them tight with no slack. without proper oil pressure, the chains will slack and the timing will not be correct. that is a good reason to set the code.

what is needed is to have a manual pressure test performed to verify the oil pressure. if it is low it could be a partially clogged pick up screen from dirt or debris or a bad oil pump. I would start here. you could try to flush your oil system. get some sea foam, add it to your oil, let it run for about an hour and the change the oil and filter and see if it still happens.

Roy

how are you making out