Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I was just in a wet driveway and put the truck in 4x4 low my…

Customer Question
I was just in a...
I was just in a wet driveway and put the truck in 4x4 low my mistake. I parked the truck then forgot to disengage until we were moving. Tried to disconnect 4x4 with dash switch. Every time I try to take it out of low range the 4x4Low light starts to blink but nothing happens. Still in 4x4 low??? Did the in Neutal with brake on. Tried locking and unlocking the hubs? Nothing. Sitting on the side of the road
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/21/2016
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is Scott

Is the vehicle stuck in 4x4 low?

it is. drove it home in 4x4low with the front hubs unlocked. I've tried really slow in reverse and put it in Neutral with brake applied, Done the same in forward. Have done it different speeds. Really slow, average speed excessive speed.

Ok, I suspect a bad shift motor, do you have a scan tool to check for codes?

You can try tapping on the shift motor while someone else is trying to shift the 4x4, sometimes this jarring will allow electricl connection again. If it does replace the shift motor. If you can get a scan tool to test the 4x4 system for trouble codes, this would be helpful also. I can get a pinpoint test for the code stored.