Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just changed the spark plugs 2012 3.7 eco boost and engine…

Customer Question
I just changed the spark...
I just changed the spark plugs 2012 3.7 eco boost and engine runs very rough under load. Wires and coils hooked up ok. Is it possible that coils were damaged during removal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/21/2016
Ford Mechanic: Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin it unlikely to damage the coils most likely a bad plug have you taken plugs back out and checked them ?not unusual to get the odd plug that so eone has dropped

even reinstall removed plugs that were actually in good condition. No change in misfiring.

Ok and can you narrow down which cylinder has missfire ?is it missing on idle ?

runs good at idle.

Ok im gonna opt out dont have hugh coverage of your model another tech will assist shortly

thanks
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

any codes? is the engine light on or flashing?

engine light was already on due to a bad catalytic converter yet to be replaced.

have you scanned it to see if it has any other codes?

don't have the ability to scan. I'm not a professional

does it run well enough to drive to a auto parts store? did you gap the plugs?

plugs are gaped @ .03 as prescribed. truck runs ok if not accelerating new plugs are ford issue and like i said i have switched back to the older ones to see if new ones were faulty but no change.

I would drive it to a parts store and have it scanned... hopefully it will have a miss fire code so we can pinpoint the effected cylinder

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy