Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2009 Ford Edge Rear Manual Lift hatch lock (latch) only

Customer Question
2009 Ford Edge Rear...

2009 Ford Edge Rear Manual Lift hatch lock (latch) only remains electrically operated for about 1.5 seconds. The hatch doesnot open far enough to clear the second stage relock of the latch A second operation of the unlock button with a quick pull will allow the hatch to be opened

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Removed latch and applied 12 volts directly. Latch remained operated as long as 12volts was applied. Tested hatch release button with ohm meter Shows short when pushed

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?

I don't think so

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/22/2016
Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem may be mechanical or electrical. If a mechanical issue is preventing the liftgate from releasing as it should then it can cause what you're having. Liftgate or striker adjustment issues or damage to either could cause mechanical issues with it opening and closing.

If that doesn't appear to be the case then the latch itself would be more likely. Odds are what is happening is the liftgate module isn't seeing the pawl switch in the latch move to the correct state so it isn't releasing fully. The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see if any fault codes are setting, if an open cycle doesn't complete or is aborted then there will be a code set to use as a starting point. Data will most likely also need to be looked at to see if the pawl switch is showing the correct position.

Here are my fault codes U0154 Pass. seat sensing,B2290 Occupant fault Passenger,B1318 Low batt Voltage(Battery was replaced apx !month ago,B2436 Pass. seat buckle switch open.Now back to rear latch problem 4 wires go to latch 2 power the latch release (operates fullywhen 12 volts applied) The other 2 wires go to micro switch witch are shorted when latch fully closed when latch starts to open short is removed.Could be used as a door ajar alarm? Is there programming of control module that will allow latch voltage to be applied longer looks like as soon as micro switch opens voltage is removed from latch, Apx .1.5 seconds. Is there a some sort of assist to pop open hatch like used to be on hoods that would put a hood in a position were you had to operate the second release handle? I do not see any assist other then the compressed rubber seal possible two round bumpers in the corners that are probably anti rattle stops.Sorry we could not connect via phone, I am retired so I am here in the eastern time available most any time that works for you.***-***-****

Did you pick the power liftgate module when looking for fault codes? The codes listed are from the airbag module.

I do not have a very sophisticated scan tool. Mine is a CAR-MD scan tool you plug it in and you get what you get and you can not reset codes.Do you have a suggestion for a reasonable priced scan tool a couple hundred probably be my limit? I am ready to cut the wires to the control module place switched 12 volts on the push button wire it directly to latch tne other side of latch to ground it will stay operated as long as you depress button.Simple door bell circuit.
I have another theory, I know they are like a certain body part,but here goes I think you are looking at the problem from the point of something has failed. I bought this car new from the Ford dealer. I don't think it ever worked any differently. Question, could there be a different control module for a hatch that opens remotely without physically lifting the hatch?

The liftgate never opened since the vehicle was purchased new?

You and I are not on the same page. I believe the liftgate has always taken two operations of the push button to fully allow the latch to release long enough so you can pull open the liftgate . This became a problem when a friend of mine was trying to open liftgate to remove my wife's wheelchair.When he pushed button to release latch liftgate moved slightly.Thinking liftgate was sticking he pulled on plastic handle breaking mounting studs. You haven't answered my question, if there is programming of latch control module that would allow operate voltage to be applied for a longer time?

You can't program it to operate differently than it was designed.

The liftgate is opening correctly but you wanted it to operate differently? Your first post said The hatch doesnot open far enough to clear the second stage relock of the latch

I thought the liftgate wasn't opening.

Okay lets see if we can agree on how the liftgate should operate. I think a person should be able to push the release button, the latch should open allowing you to lift open the liftgate. The only way my lifgate will open is if you use both hands one to operate the release button. the other to pull on the handle as soon as you hear the latch operate. If you hesitate at all the operate voltage is removed from the latch and the internal spring in the latch tries to return return the latch to its normal closed position,causing the liftgate to be trapped in the partial open position

The liftgate has to be pulled up on at the same time it's released to be able to open it. If you release it but don't open it then the module will cinch the latch back closed.

I agree that is how it should operate. But You still need some amount of time before it relatches. I not talking about a long period of time. But it shouldn't re latched before you can pull on the handle.The only way to get it open is to depress the release button a second time and pull when you hear latch operate. I don't believe Ford designed it that way.

If it has operated the same way for eight years since it was new I'm certain it's operating correctly. The intent isn't that you release it and then pull on it to open it later, the intent is that you release it and pull up simultaneously.

I am 6 feet tall weight 210 lbs have played sports my whole life. I can use both hands one on the release button the other placed in the handle cavity and most of the time it will re-latch before the door clears the loop that the latch hooks to.There is noway a 100 pound woman will be able to operate it consistently.I can't do it my 6 foot 2 inch son can't do it and my younger neighbor could't do it. I've got a hundred dollar bill says you can't do it 10 times in a row

I would recommend seeing your dealer and allowing them to see if it is normal operation. You're describing normal operation and if it was like this since the vehicle was new then I wouldn't have reason to believe it's behaving incorrectly.

Well I guess we agree to dis agree . I think you probably should be able to have a bag of groceries in one arm and be able to open hatch with the other hand. That will never happen the way my latch releases. My nephew is an Engineer with 20 with20 plus years with Ford he now works at the glass house in Dearborn. I'll run this problem pass him.The fact that the door has worked this way from new only proves I didn't consider it a real problem only an annoyance, but when people wank on the handle because they think the door is stuck which ends up breaking off the plastic studs. Now that is a hundred dollar part to replace there in lies the problem.

Who you would need to bring the vehicle to is a dealer, which is who will be familiar with the normal characteristics of the vehicle. A salesman, technician or service writer will confirm whether what your'e seeing is normal or not, and there may be another vehicle on the lot to compare it to.

I have tried other Ford edge's in fact tomorrow my wife's friend will be here, I have opened her liftgate with no problem, but her's is a 2013. Let me give you a little information about me. I worked for AT&T for 37 years as a tech. worked on everything from operator switchboards to digital litewave fiber optics.I have restored 2 Model T fords from the frame-up body off resto. I have a radio telephone FCC license . I spent two years in the US Army doing communication work. I am presently doing a frame off 1965 Corvette.I rebuilt my son's automatic transmission on a 1979 Camaro. You think my liftgate is working properly I say it is not. You say there is noway to lengthen how long latch remains operated I think it needs to be long enough to clear the receiver part of the latch,otherwise it takes two depressions of release button.to open hatch.Thank-you for your suggestions. I still might cut the wires and run it to a switched 12 volts thru latch to neg. batt.

You're welcome and I wish you luck with it.