Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 ford focus 2.0 sohc will run minute then almost die as…

Customer Question
2003 ford focus 2.0...

2003 ford focus 2.0 sohc will run for a minute then almost die as though it runs out of gas.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

First noticed this on a hill, the car lost power and would not pull the hill. After sitting overnight I got it home, but in the driveway it will run normally then start losing rpm's and almost die, sometime it will die. It will start back up then start losing power again

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Fuel filter is all

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?

It has 234,000 miles, just installed a new timing belt. The old belt had not jumped, just did it as a preventative measure.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/20/2016
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is Scott

From your description it sounds like the engine us running out of fuel, these vehicles were known for fuel pumps that would fail and cause this concern, to verify you need a fuel pressure tester to see if the fuel is going low and causing the stall, if it is, replace the fuel pump and recheck.