Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a E450 with a vacuum motor under the dash that has

Customer Question

I have a E450 with a vacuum motor under the dash that has failed. The vacuum to this motor is at 5 PSI. I bought a new vacuum motor and installed the vacuum line to make sure it works. It does, so I know it is the vacuum motor. I cannot figure out how to get the old vacuum motor out and the new one in. The space underneath the dash is simply not large enough to slip the vacuum motor to 180 degrees to get the armature out. Any advice?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a E450 with a vacuum motor under the dash that has failed. The vacuum to this motor is at 5 PSI. I bought a new vacuum motor and installed the vacuum line to make sure it works. It does, so I know it is the vacuum motor. I cannot figure out how to get the old vacuum motor out and the new one in. The space underneath the dash is simply not large enough to slip the vacuum motor to 180 degrees to get the armature out. Any advice?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

can you post a picture???

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Picture included...old and new vacuum motor in picture.
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

have you released the hold down bolts??? this is the top of the dash not the bottom. common failure and have done many once the bolts are released, the rod should just come out by tilting the actuator.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roy, yes, I have removed the two screws that hold the vacuum motor in place. And yes, one would think that all one would have to do is more the vacuum motor to the right 180 degrees, straighten the actuator and simple lift the actuator off of the vent arm. Not so simple. Not enough room under the top dash to do that. I figured there was some trick to doing this that you folks would know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is move....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One cannot tilt the actuator until one gets the old vacuum motor underneath the dash and gets the actuator in a straight line with the vent arm. So, its only 90 degrees, not 180.
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

you are not removing the white piece, correct????

have you tried turning the arm by hand??

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The white piece is the vent arm that controls the vent baffle....I have tried to take the vacuum pump and move it to the right without moving the vent arm...not enough room. I then tried to move the vacuum pump further under the dash...including moving the vent arm into a favorable position. No go. Not enough room.
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, I am sorry. I have never had a problem doing these at all. I change them in about 20 minutes. I have no idea what you are doing without being there. I will opt out and see if anyone else can help you

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. One has to push the actuator arm all the way into the vacuum motor. Then keep in depressed with a screwdriver and turn the vacuum motor to the right...and at the same time hold the vent baffle arm as far to the left as possible. I got it off and the new one back in. So, that is the solution. I would like my money back....solved it before you guys did.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the keep it depressed