Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1997 ford expedition that won't keep battery charge…

Customer Question
I have a 1997 ford...
I have a 1997 ford expedition that won't keep battery charge just had someone install a new alternator an battery . After maybe a hour of letting it run the battery is drained . As I try an give it a crank all the power cuts off until I stop cranking it. Like I said the alternator is new so is battery it cranks perfectly fine but it won't hold battery charge
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/19/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

If the battery warning light stays off, even with the voltage regulator connected, indicates a loss of power to the battery warning light, or an open in the Light Green/Red wire.

Check fuse 19 in the inside fuse box. Make sure it is fully seated and terminal connections are good, and verify battery voltage through it with the key on, from the ignition switch. If OK, check the Light Green/Red wire for an open between the voltage regulator and the instrument cluster.

The circuit runs as follows: The Light Green/Red wire comes out of the instrument cluster and runs through pin 10 of connector C158, which is the top connector of the three 40-terminal bulkhead connectors going through the left side of the firewall. From there, it runs through connector C169, a 4-terminal connector at the passenger side of the firewall, under a plastic shield, and near the starter solenoid. From there, it runs to the voltage regulator.

If the Light Green/Red wire checks OK, check for a loss of voltage into the battery warning light on the White/Yellow wire, from fuse 19 in the inside fuse box.

Thanks will do

Let me know if you need additional info.

OK will do
I opened the fuse box an I don't have a 19
The battery light never came on when I turn the key the battery gauge goes down .. The battery just drains when I turn thecar on

Which engine do you have in your expedition?

The fuse is missing?

I checked both fuse box both doesn't have no 19

If it's missing then that is the problem. You will want to replace it. It should be a 10 amp fuse (usually red).

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Also, don't forget to rate if you no longer need assistance.