Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a customer who has a 2007 Ford Edge......he tried to…

Customer Question
Hi...I have a customer who...
Hi...I have a customer who has a 2007 Ford Edge......he tried to install a remote start system himself. ......after many different issues getting it to work ......he decided to cut out the system and just go back to stock......when he cut the wires that he had soldered into his PATS transceiver. .....the immobilizer light came on......and now the car won't start.......after diagnosis from a p1260 .....a b2141 .....and a b1213.......it was found that the transceiver was faulted......so I replaced it .......did the parameter reset for the pcm and instrument cluster/pats........reset Kam .....and erased all known keys.....once I go to program keys I perform the function......then reinstall my maxidas......and the 1260 is still present and I still have a no crank ........is there something stupid I'm missing.....checked all fuses and pcm Relay.......is it possible he shorted rx or TX wire from transceiver to cluster when he cut wires.....but why wouldn't I see that......again ....any info is appreciated. ....thank you..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/19/2016
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
James, Ford Technician

Hello, when you erase all keys does the vehicle say the new keys are successfully programmed?

No when you program them from a full erase you must unplug scanner from data port and cycle keys.......however I've tried to program keys in the pats function ....and it won't allow it because there are dtcs present .....the 1260 ....and the 2141.....the 2141....I can erase and it won't come back until after I tried to start the car.....but the 1260 will never go away at all...

Ok just making sure. When the key codes are erased each key gets cycled for at least 6 seconds. If the keys aren't able to program I would suspect a wiring concern. The pats transceiver should have 12v on red wire and ground on black wire. I would test these at the column to make sure your getting power.

Done all that .....tested for the signal voltage to and from the Cluster as well....all is correct there....

Have you performed a parameter reset on the BCM yet?

No ....only under the pats system menu....which would cover the pcm....and cluster/pats....correct?
Does it actually have a BCM ........menu anyway.....I know there's the GEM.....but I dont recall an Actual BCM option.....could've over looked it......but I do know there are no other faults on any modules other than the cluster system aND the pcm.....
Seems like I need to get 1260 gone.....and I can proceed with reset and key programming like normal.....but it won't ever go away.....

In 07 the gem was changed to an smart junction box. I'm used to calling it a BCM. The SJB was changed to a BCM also. Once you cycle a key do the door locks cycle after 6 seconds?

No they do not....the smart junction box supplies the 12v power to the transceiver via a 5 amp fuse correct?
how would I go about resetting that...?

Correct fuse 36. Can you program as an additional key? When you get into the pats settings parameter reset is generic I believe on this year. The pats on this vehicle goes through the instrument cluster.

Can't program as additional key either.....and PATS is through the instrument cluster. ....what do you suggest
You mentioned resetting the sjb....or bcm........I don't believe there is an option to do that.....how would I ?......and since the PATS goes through the cluster anyway.....what would that accomplish. .......?

Maybe I worded it in correctly above. There should only be one parameter reset on this model year. This is for the PCM and IC. Your not using an IDS is ir?

That is correct.....there is only one parameter reset.....it does the ic and pcm......I'm using an autel maxidas......which is capable of doing all functions needed......and has in the past........

Having the p1260 code in memory shouldn't prevent the keys from being programmed. Usually at this point if a vehicle is giving us fits we use another scan tool to program the keys. Sometimes a vehicle and IDS will get temperamental with each other. Once you use a different scan tool everything works normal again. You could try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and see if you can program keys once you reconnect it.

Why can't I get rid of the 1260....it should erase........everytime I unhook battery and let it set the 2141 comes back ......and the 1260.....

The p1260 will be in continuous memory until the keys are programmed. Is the 2141 a P code as well?

No..it's a b

Is it by chance stored in the IC or ABS? The code means there is a configuration failure. If the PCM and IC aren't seeing the same vin number that can cause the keys not to program. Was anything replaced by the customer?

No

The only other option there really is to try another tool with programming abilities.

James, Ford Technician