Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

What direction do I turn the crankshaft pulley bolt to

Customer Question
What direction do I...

What direction do I turn the crank shaft pully bold to remove . its 2003 2.0 dohc

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Changing timing belt and can not get the bolt loose that holds the crank pully on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes I have it mostly apart but just can not get the bolt loose for the crank pully. it is a right handed bolt isn't it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

I have a socket and a cheater pipe and it just does not want to come loose

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?

No. i just need to make sure it is a right handed thread

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/18/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

The crankshaft bolt on your 2.0 turns counter clockwise to loosen and remove (right hand) . Its usually helpful if you have access to a impact wrench. One trick you can try is place you socket on the bolt and lay your cheater against the sub frame and so it can not move and hit the starter and it should break loose. Just dont be standing in front of it and make sure it laying on the sub frame an it will come loose .