Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Having an intermittent issue where my 2002 f350 will turn

Customer Question

Having an intermittent issue where my 2002 f350 will turn over but wont start. Had to buy a refurbished PCM. Old one died. The only code is P0603 for low KAM voltage. Batteries are new. When I replaced the PCM it worked fine for 6 starts then nothing. Waited until the next day and tried it again and it started. Did fine for another 19 starts then a no go. Tried starting it about 6 times and then it fired again. 2 more starts, then nothing again. I believe it has something to do with the wiring harness power pins that feed the PCM. ICP sensor is new, cam position sensor is new.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: As I said, the batteries are new and if I can fix it myself I will. I just want a reliable truck. If I need to take it somewhere I will....assuming it will start one more time.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: see first message
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The fault code P0603 is in most cases cause by a failing PCM providing you have power and ground to it. I have enclosed the steps to check this in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it. If your power and grounds check okay then the new PCM is very likely defective.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0603%20Feb%2017.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
link did not work
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

In order to open and view it you need to copy and paste it into your browser. Try it again. Looks okay from this end.