Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car caught fire and is now dumping fuel on the rear/right…

Customer Question
my car caught fire and...
my car caught fire and is now dumping fuel on the rear/right bank any ideas what is causing this to happen ideas what to look at we have replaceda few parts already
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/17/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

Can you tell me what your working on, year, make and Model as we as engine size?

2001 ford tarus sel 6 cyl DOHC

Have you scanned the computer to see if there are any fault codes and if so what are they?

Where was the fire and the extent of the damage?

no codes showing not very big fire it came from manifold up fire wall due to leaking pressure hose for the power steering unit

When you say its dumping fuel are you saying its running rich on bank one?

Was the harness damaged in the fire?

the wires have been replaced
the wires that got burnt were replaced

I would suspect you may have damaged the PCM (computer) if the wiring was burned providing you have properly rewired and repaired the damaged harness. I would start with checking the injector pulse on all 3 cylinder on the bank that dumping fuel to make sure the injectors are pulsing and not holding open. You can check the injector pulse on each cylinder with a standard 12 volt test light by placing the test end on the power side of the injectors and the ground end on the other wire and crank and start the engine. If you have normal pulse the light should flash. I the light stays lit then that would mean the PCM is keeping the injectors open. Check this and let me know the results.

The ECM and the PCM are the same thing and if they have replaced it and its not defective then I would have them recheck there wiring repair. Its very likely something was overlooked.

ok ill tell them cause i have got to get my car back on the road
could there possibly be a fuse that is the problem also
or could i have a bad injector

It not likely a fuse concern if it starts and runs, it is a possibility the injectors are the problem but not likely because they are bad. I suspect you have either a wiring problem and or the signal to the injector or even a defective replacement PCM.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician