Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 ford explorer xlt charge system error light, but car…

Customer Question
2006 ford explorer xlt...

2006 ford explorer xlt charge system error light , but car seems to run great

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

engine symbol light is on, then dash says check charging system

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/17/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

The expert you have requested in not online at the moment , My name is ***** ***** I will help you with this, sorry for the delay.

The most common cause for the type of problem you are having with the check charging system light coming on is in most cases caused by a failing alternator providing the connections to it are clean and tight. The light is controlled by the internal voltage regulator in the alternator and its not uncommon for the alternator to charge normally when the light remains on. The fix in most cases is to replace the alternator. I have enclosed the steps to test it in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Alternator%20Feb%2017.pdf

I have also enclosed wiring diagram for reference when testing in this link.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Alternator%20Wiring%20Feb%2017.pdf

Have a look and post back if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there.