Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 ford Windstar LX. a loud snapping noise. like a gh

Customer Question
2000 ford Windstar LX. a...
2000 ford Windstar LX. a loud snapping noise. like a high voltage electric discharge. not related to engine RPM. also its intermittent.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/17/2016
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 2 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Can you give me more information on this snapping noise?
Where on the vehicle is it coming from?
Does the vehicle have to be moving, turning, braking, running...etc?

the noise is coming from the back of the eng. the side nearest the fire wall. no the van does not have to be moving. the noise has nothing to do with moving, braking, turning, its a very loud sharp snapping.

Just one more question?
Does the vehicle have to be driven or does the noise happen as soon as the key is turned on or the engine started?

No it does not have to be moving. as soon as the engine is running.

What engine does this Windstar have? There is a 3.0L V6 and a 3.8L V6. If you can get me the VIN#, I can check Fords database.

3.8 L V6. vin# *****
while standing in front of van and looking back. the air box on top of the engine has six tubes. three front and three to the rear. with the engine running if you put your hand on top of the center tube to the rear side it will be warm. all of the others are cool to the touch. if you run the RPM's up a little the snapping stops. could it be something with an injector or do I have a valve problem? at low RPM's the engine runs a little ruff.

Thank you. Inspect the spark plug wires on the back side of the engine. If any are cracked, split or grounded out, the spark will jump to the metal closest to it instead of the spark plug and cause the snapping noise you are hearing.

I don't think so. it has new wires as of 10/18/2015 and ran well until 01/12/2016. it also had a "camshaft position sensor" same time. Also new spark plugs on 10/18/15. Manifold gasket, Ignition coil, Head gasket set, rebuild front cylinder head, serviced cooling system, air conditioning temp actuator, it ran well from 10/26/15 until 01/12/16. she was driving at about 40.MPH. when the noise just started. their were no lights, oil, hi temp, check Eng. the Eng. oil level was and is at the full mark. and has no indication of coolant in the oil. its firing back into the intake air box. can't be an exhaust valve because its blowing back into the intake.

Then there may be a bad intake valve spring which is allowing the intake valve to stay open and the noise is the rocker arm bouncing around.