Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

06 f150, 5.4 automatic 4wd. accelerating at ghway speed, as

Customer Question

hi Pearl, 06 f150, 5.4 automatic 4wd. accelerating at highway speed , as if to pass, it falls on its face and backfires. ( at least I think what I'm hearing is repetitive little backfires) changed all 4 o2 sensors and all new fuel injectors. trouble codes say trouble with catalytic system. also smells rich at idle. cleaned MAF sensor.................. what next?
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Ford Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes. experienced "old school" mechanic....... new computerized everything baffles me.....
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: see original message...........
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: 125K miles, not driven hard at all, recently changed from mostly highway driving to mostly in town .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Can you tell me the actual fault codes your getting when the check engine light is coming on?

Have you checked the fuel pressure as well?