Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Grand Marquis suddenly won't start. 97K miles, cranks…

Customer Question
2000 Grand Marquis suddenly...

2000 Grand Marquis suddenly won't start. 97K miles, cranks but won't start. Tried spare key - no help. Towed home to find that door locks won't work manually but do w/remote, no fuel pressure at rail, power mirrors don't work, clock display out, inside lights out, door keypad out, PATS indicator stays on dimly. All fuses removed and checked with meter and all relays with a 12 volt power supply and meter. It will start if fuel is poured into air cleaner until that runs out. Any ideas???

Mechanic's Assistant: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes, I'm a backyard mechanic and electronics repair guy for the past 48 years and have the electrical wiring book for the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

As I wrote earlier, all fused in the 3 locations are good. The relays work with a 12 volt power supply and the contacts show good with an ohm meter. I have power to the relays and am suspecting the PATS system since it's indicator LED is on dimly without the key on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?

Nothing that wasn't typed in my initial message.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/15/2016
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 2 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Does the check engine light come on with the key on? Does the fuel pump relay activate while turning the key on and while cranking?

Ron, ASE Certified Technician