Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My name is ***** *****. Im working on a 2000 mustang 3.8…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** *****. Im working on a 2000 mustang 3.8 manual transmission. Have spark and can run engine on propane but have no injector pulse. Fuel pump is new ECU is new fpdm is new

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Vehicle runs with ECU from a taurus after manually applying power to the fuel pump

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/15/2016
Ford Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

At first look it would seem there is a problem with the fuel pump control circuit. These vehicles have a module by the radiator that has been known to fail and which includes the fuel pump relay; have you checked it? Also, this is an OBDII system, so the onboard computer should have picked up the fault and set codes. Have you scanned the computer?

Please let me know what you find out and we'll take it from there.

Good evening,
The ccrm was changed , The customer didn't tighten the wires down after he replaced the battery terminals and so both the pos and neg terminals were intermittent, New fuel pump, new fpdm. The theft light is flashing KOEO and while cranking. flashing a 23 code repeatedly. ECU lost memory since battery connection was loose.

Ouch! I definitely understand what you're telling me has happened; the PATS is no longer recognizing the current ECU, or not communicating with it, so it's flashing code 23 and not allowing the engine to start.

From this point on, all diagnostic procedures would require using a NGS or WDS tester loaded with the appropriate software. I wouldn't know how to help you otherwise, so I will opt out so others can try to help you.

Best Regards.

Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 2 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Is the RED THEFT light flashing rapidly when you try to start the engine?
The light will flash every 3 to 5 seconds when the key is removed and the doors are closed.

Have you actually tested the PCM (Engine Computer) for trouble codes and also the instrument cluster?

it flashes rapidly while cranking. no codes or pending codes

How many keys do you have for this customers car?
1 or 2?

customer has only 1 key

Wait a minute...this 3.8L Mustang has a Computer in it from a Ford Taurus?

The original ECU was reinstalled. the Taurus ECU was used in testing by the customer and he drove the car to me. first thing I did was remove the ground to the fuel pump since pressure is controlled by the FPDM and ECU. Reinstalled the original ECU. He had already replaced the fuel pump and CCRM. I installed his FPDM.

Can you test the instrument cluster for trouble codes?

have never tested an instrument cluster. Hmmmm ?

The instrument cluster is a module within itself. It contains the PATS key system.

A. Penland
A. Penland