Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Didn't expect a chat but while your here- looking at a 2005

Customer Question

HI, didn't expect a chat but while your here- looking at a 2005 Ford Freeestyle AWD w/CVT trans. Your opinioin? Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Don't have an issue yet- looking to buy that car and would like your thoughts on trans reliability. Thanks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

the early year CVT transmissions such as the 2005 Freestyle are notorious for failure and are not rebuildable, thus requiring replacement as several thousand dollars. The kinks were not worked out in them and have a very high failure rate. I would stay away from any CVT transmission vehicle that was made before 2010.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.