Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I recently purchased a 2004 ford f 150 ...but when idles…

Customer Question
Hi I recently purchased...

Hi I recently purchased a 2004 ford f 150 ...but when idles sounds like a diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

The engine as we are driving sounds great ...its just primarily when idling the engine sounds like a diesel ... I have read a few forums and they seem to say to change cam phasers but sound will return...just wondering long term effects or take back to dealer now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

I do have a warranty on it...but what do you tell warranty company

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/15/2016
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd start by checking all the exhaust joints - where the manifold joins the head and the down pipe joints just before the catylst - the best way to do this is to start the engine from cold and feel around each joint with your bare hands - feeling for exhuast gas blowing over your fingers - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot.

if this is OK then I'd next try some oil flush treatment, as you've already found the cam phaser / actuator can stick

if you still have the noise after the oil flush and fresh oil

then yes I'd look into replacing the cam actuator parts