Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Where is the voltage regulator on a 2003 ford windstar
,

Customer Question
Where is the voltage...

Where is the voltage regulaor on a 2003 ford windstar

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

This is the socond alternator I have put on and it is brand new rebuilt I am trying to find the voltage rgulator

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Having the battery and alternator checked for being good or bad

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/14/2016
Ford Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Technician

the voltage regulator is built inside the alternator

at idle it will not charge ?

no

do you have a multi meter on hand ?

can you see with the key ON if the big power wire at the alternator shows 12 volts ?

an alternator checker on my battery charger

ok if that big power wire shows 12 volts with the key ON on the 3 wire connector at the alternator does the orange/light blue wire terminal in the connector show 12 volts ?

let me check

ok

ok with BOTH those tests showing 12 volts and 2 brand new alternators the only other thing to cause this alternator not to charge is one of the other 2 small wires in the connector being bad from the alternator to the computer being bad or have high resistance or the terminals in the connector being opened up or bad or the computer is bad

as the computer tells the alternator when to charge

the usual way this goes is inspecting the terminals if they look good if they do a visual on those 2 wires from the alternator to the computer if they look good than those 2 wires need to be ohmed out end to end to check for an open or high resistance

if those 2 wires test out good the only thing left is a bad computer i am sorry to say

you can always get be back though this post for FREE with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at justanswer

how are you making out ?