Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 01 Explorer Limited with automatic heat control.

Customer Question
Hi, i have a...

Hi, i have a 01 Explorer Limited with automatic heat control. The heat stays on hot(32) and when i put it on 15, it still pumps out hot air as if it was still on 32. The a/c works, so does it switching to floor, vents, defrost etc. i have got 5 auto heat controls and 5 blendoor motors and all dont make a difference. I held 1 belndoor motor in my hand while i changed the heat to cold and the arm didnt move so i thought it wasnt getting power. I checked all the fuses, in the vehicle and under the motor and all are good, so now i am not sure what to do or how to test to see if the blendoor motor is getting power. There is no clicking that i hear either from the dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Thanks for reading and i think thats all i can think of.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/14/2016
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 2 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, so if you move the temperature blend door by hand with the actuator removed does it change temperature? If you run a self test on the EATC system does it display any codes other than 888 pass?

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test

• The EATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A scan tool tester must be used to retrieve these concerns.
  • The EATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°-32°C (40-90°F) when performing the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-vehicle temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed.
  • The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given.
  • If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation.
  • To exit self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, push the blue (cooler) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all intermittent diagnostic trouble codes and then turn OFF (display blank).
  • To exit self-test and clear all diagnostic trouble codes, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared.
  • Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).
  • Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs.