Joe Prestia
Joe Prestia,
Experience:  Lead Automotive Tech at Belle Tire
92135077

Truck wont start

Customer Question

truck wont start
Category: Ford
Expert:  Joe Prestia replied 1 year ago.

What year f250 are you working on today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1996
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
changed starter battery and solinoid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is anyone out there

Do you have a multimeter handy? I'm fairly sure I can help you through this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dont have a multi meter is there a relay switch

There is a relay. There is also a lot of other parts that could cause this problem. Do you have access to a test light so we can narrow it down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to dark to see now I pulled what looks to be the relay and going to parts store I will contact you tomorrow when I cann see what Im doing

K. Good luck. We'll check in soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
going to buy a multi meter today replaced the starter relay and now I have nothing not even a click like I was getting no lights nothing system is completely dead put the old switch back in and still nothing the old one was giving me lights and buzzers but no nothing any suggestions where to start now

The first thing we're going to have to verify in this situation is the battery's charge and that all fuses are ok. Let me know once you get that done and we can proceed to dig a little deeper!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a new battery but maybe its defective I will check it and get back to you the fuses looked ok non were burnt but theres a bank of black square units in the fuse box not sure what they are

Those are also relays for what it's worth. It might be worth trying to switch the ignition relay with something like the horn relay and see if any of your symptoms change. The fuse and relay location can be found in the owners manual. If you don't have access to that let me know and I'll see what I can dig up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check that thx

Just stopping by to see how you're coming on the truck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked the battery and the solenoid both had power to them all the fuses were ok wasn't sure how to test the black square units in the fuse box wasnt getting continuity through the ones I checked but didnt know if the should
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also checked the cable that comes from the battery it splits into two when in gets to the solenoid both had power from the battery, check from ground to both leads

You should only be getting continuity through the relays when there when there is power to the other terminals, so they may or may not be working. Just to be clear all fuses are good and you're not getting any power to the truck at all. But before you had power to the truck and it only wouldn't crank. Correct?

Sorry I might be having browser issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct changed the solenoid and got nothing put the old one back and got nothing where before with the old solenoid I had lights and warning buzzer just wouldnt crank over now nothing. everything was working fine til I changed the water pump then this shit started happening
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pulled the cables when i removed the alternator for the water pump replacement

Do you have power at any of the wires to the ignition switch?

And so I can be sure I'm not looking at the wrong diagram what engine does your truck have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7.5 litre

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the ignition switch was changed about a month ago.

If all of the fuses are good we'll need to know if power is getting to the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I check that

If my memory serves correctly (and this may depend on tilt of fixed steering column option) there should be like 3 or five yellow wires. Check them for power at the plug near the base of the turn signal stem. And if the switch was replaced recently couple check to make sure all of the pins are secure in the connectors. Ive seen them get brittle and break with age causing goofy intermittent issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
havent had time to check the ignition switch will this weekend.

Thanks for checking in. Looking forward to hearing what you come up with. No need to reply before then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i got the cover over the bottom of the steering off and the switch out easy enough not sure what to check in there

There should be power on at least one of the wires in the plug that goes to it at all times. The color of that wire if my diagram is correct will be yellow. It looks like there may be more than one. Either way we can worry about that later. If there is power getting to the switch then we need to make sure there is power on the red and light blue wire when the key is in the crank position. You will also want to give a light pull on all of the wires in the connector to make sure the retainers for the terminals are not broken inside the plug.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will check that and get back to you