Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

Turn ignition switch just ticks some times will start

Customer Question

turn ignition switch just ticks some times will start starter tested good and replaced the battery still having trouble starting
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Scott

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Does the click come from inside the vehicle or down by the starter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sounds like in the engine area
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Is the noise from the battery junction box, like a small relay, or a louder relay noise down by the starter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
starter tested good and replaced the battery
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Has there been anybody under the hood when it won't start to see where it is clicking from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I turn the key several times it will start
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I would suggest replacing the small starter relay in the power distribution box since the starter and battery are ok. This is the only component left. Here is relay location.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

That should read this is the only "component left under the hood", there is also a possible ignition switch and PCM computer also.