Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1987 ford ranger pu is dying when fully warmed up. it has…

Customer Question
my 1987 ford ranger pu...
my 1987 ford ranger pu is dying when fully warmed up. it has the 6 cyl fuel injected engine. after sitting for an hour it will start right up, and run until fully reheated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/13/2016
Ford Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Welcome, my name is***** am a verified expert automobile technician. I, and all others like me are neither employees nor agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell our Expert knowledge to customers. I do my best to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, please let me know what you need from me so you’re satisfied with my efforts and reward me with a Positive Rating.

OK. In order for it to start and run normally, the engine in your Ranger has to have four things: compression, fuel pressure, injector pulse and ignition spark. Taking that fact into consideration, we can say for certain that one or more of those things is not there after the engine warms up.

So here is what we ned to do; first, start and run the engine until is fully warmed up to duplicate the problem, then spray a little starting fluid down the throttle and try to start it.

If it does start and runs for a couple of seconds or so, we'll know that compression and spark are OK. We'll need to check fuel pressure with a tester and injector pulse with a Noid lite.

If it doesn't start with starting fluid, then we'll need to check spark with an ignition tester.

Once we know what is missing, we would then be able to focus our diagnosis on the specific issue.

Please let me know what you find.

Best Regards.