Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1994 ford ranger 2.3l manual trans 8 spark plugs. Engine…

Customer Question
1994 ford ranger 2.3l manual...
1994 ford ranger 2.3l manual trans 8 spark plugs . Engine starts right up then dies it always starts right up but will not idle and dies when you push the gas pedal , I replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump modual and still the same. I can keep the truck running if I shut it off and turn the key right back on before it dies.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Also no check engine light
2/13/2016
Ford Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

have you checked your fuel injectors

No but it starts smooth and runs up to about 2,000 rpms then rpms drop and runs rough and dies

sounds like the mass airflow sensor

No check engine light ?and if I cycle the key it stays running ?
How does the spark work on this does it ignite all 8 to start then drop 4 at low rpm then kick in the other 4 at high rpm ????
This problem also started when driving was running fine then just went to shit .

all 8 plugs should be sparking at all time

have you checked your spark plugs

No I will but, like I said if I cycle the key it runs smooth, when you start the engine it has high idle upto 2,000 rpm's then when that shuts off it dies, but if you turn key off then back on quickly the engine soots right back put 2000 if you keep doing that it runs on all 4 cylinders just fine
It will not idle and it will not throttle, when I push on the gas pedaL it just let's air in but it does not add fuel , also I don't hear the idle air servo , but when I throttle it dies anyhow . Just turn the key it starts perfect every time then dies, you cannot add throttle it makes it worse dies faster leave food off throttle and it stumbles a little before it dies

the codes are for a low voltage in the battery circuit but the smoking and fuel smell is a sign of a bad injector staying open and causing to much fuel to get in to the engine will also cause it to run really rough if you ned anything else please let me know and be sure to rate my service when you get the chance

What codes?
Please get me another mechanic .
Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Was fuel pressure tested under load while running poorly?

Did the problem start not long after getting fuel?

Have you checked for fault codes?

Replaced fuel pump ,and filter has good pressure starts right up no fault codes, then dies ,if I shut the key of then back on while running I can keep it running only because it is cold and thinks it just started, when u start it it goes up to about 2,00 rpms then dies.when u push on the accelerator it dies I guess I will pull the injectors but it does not make sense that I can keep it running by cycling the key

What was fuel pressure at the time the problem was happening?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician