Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have and 02 F250 lariat. When I push the door unlock

Customer Question
My name is***** have...

My name is***** have and 02 F250 lariat. When I push the door unlock button nothing happens. When I push the lock button the doors unlock. They also unlock when I push the lock/arm button on my viper remote.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

There is no clicking behind the dash. I can lock the doors manually but cannot arm the alarm or they will unlock. They also unlock when I start the engine instead of locking.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/12/2016
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 2 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, is the vehicle equipped with an aftermarket alarm system? It only unlocks all the doors and not lock any doors?

It is equipped with a viper aftermarket alarm system. I have disabled the alarm system and checked the problem there. It still persist and is not related to the alarm system. You are correct. the doors cannot be locked with the button on the door or the alarm fob. All actuators activate but only to unlock. If you push the unlock button nothing happens, but if you push to lock...all locks unlock. This is not an actuator problem!!! The only time the doors will lock automatically is when I put the vehicle in drive and roll about 20 ', then the doors will lock. Again, the unlock position on all doors does nothing. The lock position on all doors unlocks all of them.

Ok long as the alarm system isnt causing the issue, then it would a possible issue with water intrusion into the back of the fuse panel. The GEM Module(body control module) bolts to the back of the interior fuse panel. A leaking windshield seal is a common cause of water leaking into the back of the fuse panel and causing a short circuit and other electrical issues to occur. Remove the two large electrical connectors located on the back of the fuse panel, they are held in place by 10 mm bolts and inspect for blue/white corrosion. If this is the case the fuse panel and gem module need replaced and the windshield resealed. If not a diagnostic check for codes of the GEM module would need to be done with a dealer or high end scan tool to check for door codes/issues

wow. I was going to pull the fuse box tomorrow and check out the connections. I am sure my windshield doesn't leak. Checked that awhile back. Anyway, I was on my way to meet my son and the door locks started functioning properly. If it is no longer broken, I feel no need to fix it.

I hear that, and sometimes you dont see it leak, it is a common issue on your model year f series. Seen a lot of them or issues with the gem module itself it will set a code for the door circuitry.

I'll check into it tomorrow then. If there is no sign of water, then what?

Then a diagnostic check of the gem module, see if codes are stored, check alarm system wiring connection,unplug alarm brain if not already to prevent issues with system

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans