Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2012 super duty that will not start. The battery is…

Customer Question
I have a 2012 super...
I have a 2012 super duty that will not start. The battery is hot but starter will go at all and never has made any noise.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/12/2016
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you have a test light or voltmeter? I can help you diagnose this,Tim

I have a voltmeter

are you at the vehicle right now?

ok, at the starter, there are 2 wires, a small wire and a large wire, the large wire should have power at all times, and the small wire should have power when cranking, do they?

I am by my self. The big wire is hot. Can't tell on the small one. I accidentally shorted to the big wire from the silonde and the starter spun fine.

ok, you will need a helper to continue, all the other circuits have to be checked with the key in the crank position, but is this an auto trans or amanual trans

It's a auto. I have someone on the way

ok, have you tried putting the shifter in neutral and seeing if it starts?

I try neutral. The small wire is not hot.

Which motor do you have in this?

Diesel

ok, do you know where the starter relay is?

No I don't.

it is located in the fuse box next to the battery, can you locate this relay and remove it?

Looks like mice eat wires under the fuse box.

this would definately cause it, can you repair the wires?

are you still here?

Going to take it in

ok