Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2004 4 cyl Ranger wont start. I t the brakes very hard

Customer Question
My 2004 4 cyl Ranger...
My 2004 4 cyl Ranger won't start.
I hit the brakes very hard in traffic, the engine died and wouldn't turn over. Tried jumo starting, charged battery (it was low) but although there seems to be power; the starter won't even turn over. Makes no sound at all.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/11/2016
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Is your ranger a manual or automatic?

Automatic

Do you have a test light to check for power?

Ok. First, does the check engine light come on when you turn the key on?

The check engine light is to the left of the ABS light and I do not see it on. It looks like an engine. Can you just make sure that the light does or does not come on when you turn the key on. It may go out after a few seconds, thats why I just want you to verify if it comes on when the key is turned on. Thanks.

No check engine light

But the truck was running and did die while hitting the brakes hard?

It was kinda lurching around at about 60+ miles per hour since I got it back, too

The check engine needs to come on when the key is turned on. This indicates the PCM the engines computer, is not turning on. Can you go out under the hood and check all the relays and fuses and make sure they are all pushed in all the way.

I will go check them. It will take me just a moment though I have to pick up my son from school. Sorry! ;)

Specifically make sure fuse 11 (30amp) in the fuse box under the hood is good and has power to it.

Just get back to me when you can.

Fuse 11 is very blown! So I'm assuming I should go buy a new one or should I just put some for oil in there? LOL just kidding
I meant foil

Yeah. Foil or oil. Either should work. haha. Yeah there may be spares in the fuse box or in the fuse box inside the truck.

Hello! Well I bought a new fuse, and put it in, started it and it started to turn over finally! But then it didn't quite make it. Then I realized I didn't put the other good fuse, the one I took w me to store, back in all the way. So I pushed that in and tried to start it again and it didn't turn over anymore. So I checked the number 11 fuse, and it was blown again. And I believe the other one blew too! So I'm heading back to store to buy two more. Do I need anything else that you can think of while I am there? ;) thanks for your help!!
I don't want to do anything else until I hear from you. Thank you?!

Ok. Because that fuse is blowing multiple times then the wiring is shorted somewhere and causing it to blow. You may want to check up under the steering column and see if you see any bare wires touching metal or each other. Also check the wiring around the fuse box under the hood. Let me know if you see anything. And also if nothing obvious is found, let me know the exact fuse numbers that blow so I can try and narrow it down.

Thank you for viewing my last response. Let me know if you have any more questions and please rate my service. Thanks.

Hi Eric,
Sorry for the delay!! I thought I emailed you back! So I will double check for the wiring problems, but the #11 fuse is the one that keeps blowing. I'll get back to you on the shorts and stuff. Thank you so much!!

Ok thanks. Let me know what you find or if you need some more info on isolating where shorts could be.