A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

My 2014 F150 with factory nav system lost all audio sound

Customer Question

My 2014 F150 with factory nav system lost all audio sound this winter. I read that someone has a problem with a shorted Sony amplifier so I tried changing that but no luck. It was at the dealer today and I was told the head units can be flaky in the cold. The audio came back after warming up in the shop! They say they can change the head unit for $500 but want to know if I can change it myself. They did say it needs to be programmed....
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The head unit as you call it as actually called the ACM (Audio Control Module) and it does need to be program to the vehicle because it is actually a module that communicates with several other modules in the vehicle. It needs to configured and programed so it will work properly. It needs to be done with a scan tool connected to the internet to properly program it to the vehicle and other modules.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks, ***** ***** why cold weather would affect some of these units randomly? I am an electrical engineer and am frustrated by auto electronics that aren't tested properly to survive and function in harsh winter reality.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

I live in Florida and we deal with heat, not much cold weather. But we have seen modules fail after a battery is replaced. Ford will not give us internal details on the modules. We have seen the Master Reset fix problems temporarily. We have even seen network issues. Which is the wired network between all the modules in the vehicle so all the modules can share information on vehicle operation.