Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a code P0430 showing up on my code reader.. Catalyst…

Customer Question
I have a code P0430...
I have a code P0430 showing up on my code reader.. Catalyst system efficiency below threashold. Does this refer to a sensor failure or cat failure?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/11/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron Z., - Ford Tech - replied 2 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -

Unfortunately, the P0430 is a fairly straight forward code, and a fairly common problem. This code points to a failing Catalytic Converter for Bank2 (driver's side). The Oxygen Sensors measure the amount of emissions in the exhaust going into, and then out of the converter. When they see that the converter is not "cleaning" the exhaust enough to meet specs, the Converter is deemed "below threshold" and the P0430 is set. Make sure there are no current cylinder misfires. Make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust system. Which, if there were, you should be able to hear. Sounding like a repeating "tick" or "puff" from the exhaust. Usually more prodominate when the engine is cold. Make sure to include the exhaust manifold when checking for leaks/cracks. If these check ok, then most commonly, the Converter is "on it's way out" and will need replacement in the near future. Keep in mind, you will need a replacement converter that meets specs. Those "universal" or "discount" converters sold at some after market parts stores do not meet specs, and will not cure a P0430. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -