Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My panic has tripped and will not go off. First i removed…

Customer Question
My panic has tripped and...
My panic has tripped and will not go off. First i removed horn fuse then flasher fuse then I had to unplug the battery. I dont have key fob but i went and bought one but cant use it till panic stops
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/4/2016
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 2 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Have you tried placing the key in the ignition and turn it to on, ten reconnect the battery and see if the alarm stops.

Does your Escape have power door locks?

it does

Is there a red light on the dash flashing when the horn is going off?

No red lights nothing flashing or lite up just horn emergency lights and head lights flashing

Try programing the remote even with the horn going off. Cycle the key on and off 10 times ending in the on position and the door locks should cycle. Then press any button on the remote. The door locks should cycle when the remote is programed. Then try turning the horn off with the remote.

The locks didn't cycle

Last resort. Unplug the GEM module which is mounted under the center of the dash behind the trim panel to the right of he gas pedal. Unplug the GEM and reconnect the battery and then plug the GEM back in. Below are instructions for unplugging the GEM.

It stopped until i plugged it back in

Do you have an added on alarm system on top of the keyless entry system?

No i dont

The GEM module controls the horn and antitheft for your 2001 Escape. Disconnecting the battery or unplugging the GEM should stop the horn from going off. There may be an issue with the GEMN module but it should be properly tested for trouble codes to make sure before replacing any parts.

take it to dealer for repairs

An independent shop can do this also. You do not need to take it to a dealership. We tried all the options for resetting the alarm to no avail.