Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

99 mustang ignition .... car doesn't crank and the battery

Customer Question
99 mustang ignition ......

99 mustang ignition .... car doesnt crank and the battery light and stereo now stay on when you remove kewy

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Checked fuses... key switch is on no matter what position key is in

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/4/2016
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 2 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Is the engine cranking over but not starting or does it not crank over at all? Can I start by getting your VIN?

Does not crank at all.
..car down the street
dash lights stay on no matter if key in
fuses ok
battery good
never had a problem cranking till last night
hello Amedee?
hello??

Sorry for the delay! I am still here

What size engine do you have?

6 cylinder 3.8
I'm at the car do you still need the vin?

no thanks

Are there any anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash? Does the starter have power going to it with the key in the CRANK position?

At first the only thing on the dashboard was the battery light but after we pull all the fuses and checked them the theft light flashed for about a minute

Ok, if the light is no longer flashing with the key on or when trying to start it, the problem is not related to the security system.

Does the check engine light come on with the key on for a bulb check?

If so, then we need to check the starting circuit. You could have a bad starter motor, bad transmission range switch, starter relay or even a blown fuse.

Start does not engage and the key turns with hardly any resistance
No check engine light

Ok, this might just be a bad ignition switch.

Have check fuses

Ok, good. Your next step would be to check for power going in and coming out of the ignition switch with the key in the CRANK position

If there is power going in but no power coming out, either the electrical part of the ignition switch is bad or the ignition lock cylinder (mechanical part) is bad and will need to be replaced.

Just jumped starter..., at power distribution box starter works got car started

YUP! That means there is an issue strictly with something in the starting circuit. I would check the ignition switch and the other things I mentioned.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Not sure how to check for power in and out of the ignition
When we jumped the starter at the power distribution box it would not start the car when the key was not in the start position however when we returned it to the start position the car started.... does that not show that the ignition switch is getting power because when key turned on the coil works??

If you mean that it started when the key was turned to the "ON" position, then yes, this should indicate that the ignition switch is ok. However, you are going to want to check it individually just to be sure.

With a voltmeter, check the powers going in and coming out with the key in the CRANK position using the diagram I sent you.

K. I am going to get this car back to the house in in the shop I will contact you tomorrow after we have tried to trace down the problem

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

Please keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation even after you rate my service.

OK thanks

Your welcome. You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page. Have a great night and I look forward to hearing from you!

.

Amedee?
Ignition switch is good however we find a bar that leads to the ignition switch from the lock cylinder and it appears may be in several pieces .....do you know what this piece is called and if it should be in one solid piece

Hello and sorry for the delay! I do believe it comes as a complete unit. However, I do not work in parts. I would call your local FORD dealership and speak with the parts department.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN