Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 2000 ford contour have replaced plugs, wires,coil…

Customer Question
Have a 2000 ford contour...
Have a 2000 ford contour have replaced plugs, wires,coil pack. Was missing . Ran for a couple of days. It would pop like there was water in the tank we added gas additive and injector cleaner. It was having trouble when I gave it gas,. Trouble going up hill,,would have to really floor it. This morning it won't start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Brand new fuel pump, new timing belt. We have replaced alot on this engine .
2/3/2016
Ford Mechanic: sarmiento22556, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
sarmiento22556
sarmiento22556, Auto Service Technician

Hello, I will try my best to help you with your concern.

Is the check engine light on?

You said it was missing, is it still missing?

when did the problem actually start?

after what part of the repair?

No the check engine light is not on. This past summer had a new fuel system put in. We replaced everything possible it is still missing,husband replaced plugs,wires and have had 3 new coil packs.. It started missing about 2 months ago. Like I said replaced alot. It now pops when I give it the gas,added fuel additive and fuel injector cleaner. This all started after replacing coil pack and plug wires. Had it tested they are all firing,but still missing and poping,running rough.
Switched fuel pump relay seems to run,but intermittent

if you have replaced all the ignition items with good quality parts then the next step is to check the engine compression.

weak compression will affect all the things you have described

Husband doesn't believe that is the problem,because when you kick it down it doesn't miss,only when it idles.

a weak cylinder might only show itself more when it is at idle.

also the timing belt needs to be rechecked to make sure it is not off time.

also make sure the maf sensor is not dirty. you should go ahead a clean it with the proper cleaner

Ron, ASE Certified Technician