Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My name is ***** *****. I have an 01 ford Taurus that I

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. I have an 01 ford Taurus that I changed the water pump and did a coolant flush the other day and it all of a sudden had an issue accelerating and if I would really step on it wouldn't shift until about 4000 rpm. What could have happened?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It has kind of a growling issue. It just had the torque converter replaced a couple months ago.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/2/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

Are you getting a check engine light?

Did you go back and make sure everything is connected?

There is no check engine light. I thought I went back through and made sure it was all connected.

There really is nothing that should have changed by replacing the water pump. Did you check and make sure the air intake hose is sealing and the MAF (mass air flow) sensor is connected?

Those are both good. I am at a loss on what it could be and why it would just start doing this after working on the water pump.

I would agree and its even stranger its not setting a fault code. Have you drive it around as best you can and seen if a fault code will set. Sometimes is takes some driving?

It idles fine in park but as soon as you put it into reverse or drive the rpms drop.

Just for the heck of it why dont you disconnect the negative battery cable and then take some carb cleaner and a soft cloth and give the throttle body a good cleaning and while you in there also take some MAF cleaner and give the MAF a good cleaning and see if it changes the way the engine performs.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician