Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Im ***** ***** and having issues with my power mirrors

Customer Question
hi im ***** ***** and...
hi im ***** ***** and having issues with my power mirrors windows and locks on my vehicle
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what is the best way to trouble shoot this issue
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
well i put in my card info more than 15 min ago and no response feeling disappointed
2/2/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

What is the year, make, and model of the vehicle? No info came up on this side at all.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,

touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok fair enough can you help me diagnose this issue I'm having

Not without the vehicle information, no I can't. I have to have that to start.

What are the issues you are having?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i thought you already seen the question I'm asking i have a 1994 ford f150 the power windows power mirrors and power door locks aren't working
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
jeremy i guess you have no response for me

Are they all not working at all? Did they just all quit or did you have one quit and then the others followed?

Are you having any issues with the wipers? I'm trying to rule out if all on one circuit or several.

I am responding. I am on the Ford site trying to pull the diagram. I'm also helping other customers as well. I can only reply in the order the responses are coming in.

Can you check fuse 12 and 14 in the fuse panel? Are they good?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i understand it is just ask says responses in 8 minutes or less
no i just purchased the truck i couldn't tell you what order they quit working in or all at ounce
but the wipers lights all work basically everything is working except the power windows mirrors and locks sorry i can't give you any prior issues with the vehicle

I don't know why that gets put on the time response. We try to be that quick, but we can't always be that fast.

With them not working and being on all 3 circuits, the main point where they all cross together is in the driver door. The inside door panel will need to be removed to look at that harness and see if there is something going on with it. The most common is I tend to find the fuses blown because water gets into the switches from the driver window being down or the door is open and they get wet from rain. I would check them first for it could just be something that simple.

Otherwise if they are good, I suggest looking at the wires going through the door at the hinges to make sure nothing was cut or crimped followed by checking the wires inside the door by removing the skin off the door.

If you have a digital multimeter or test light, I would then verify that there is power going to each of those switches. If so, see if power comes out hen the switch is being used. If not, replace the switches for water got into them. I would do this on the driver door first for it is the main side that gets all the power. The other doors get their power from the driver door only.

Give me just a minute. I'm prepping the diagrams to put on here so you will have them for reference.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have done that already have power going in to all three switches
also have power going out of all three switches via operating the switches kind of thinking a bad ground

Oh, that would be the next.

Here are the diagrams. I'm not showing a power mirror diagram. That is why I'm taking as long as I am because I am searching all over and not having luck with it.

The ground point is in the cab, left side corner, behind the brake parking pedal. There is a ground point there and that is where the ground would be.

The easiest is to use a test light clipped to a ground point and then ground at the switch. Here is where it gets tricky. There are 4 ground wires from the switch. 2 for each window. I use a paperclip to ground them, then touch the tester to the ground while other is on ground, and the operate the switch. If it operates, then you know the ground is shorted for sure. Most likely it will be connector just on the inside of the cab from the door in the kick panel or it will be the ground stud. I would chase to see which of the 2 it is or run a new ground up and be done. It will be hidden inside anyway if a new ground needs to be ran.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yeah I've searched high and low for the ground and or its location and can't find it
ill go try again and use these diagrams and let you know what i come up with
more specific do you have a pic or specific place on the left kick panel that the ground is located or does it vary by year

It varies by year.

The age of the vehicle has less support so Ford doesn't have the pics on there. I do the same thing. I chase it, but I tend to cheat and test the ground at the switch first. There are times I'll run a new ground. It all depends on the customer and what they want. I like to do it right, but some customers just want it working and they don't care how it got there. Especially when all the wiring is hidden from view anyway.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Jeremy
Jeremy