Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My right hand head light does not work on low beam but works…

Customer Question
My right hand head light...
My right hand head light does not work on low beam but works on High beam.
I changed the bulb and fuse but that did not help. I need to know where the ground is connected on that harness
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/1/2016
Ford Mechanic: camerontech, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Service Technician

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech.

there are a couple differnt headlight systems or this year.

do you have DRL or autolamps?

and the wire colors at the 3 pin terminal.

also, which wires had 12v and which did not.

thanks

cam

Autolamps and 2 black and 1 green. High had 12v and no reading on low

ok, thanks

the low and high beam share the same ground, so if the high beam is working than the ground should be fine. you can test this with a voltage drop test, bit im pretty sure if the ground was bad than the high beam would not function.

the ground for the right headlight is located on the right side of the engine compartment.

there should not be 2 blacks and 1 green wire there unless the connector pigtail was replaced at some point.

there should be a black wire, which is ground

a light green and black, which is the high beam 12volts.

than a white with light green trace which is the low beam. this is the one that we need to focus on.

this should have 12 v when lowbeams are on.

fuse 4 is the right low beam fuse. if the fuse is ok, and there is 12v there, than there is a open wire between the interior fuse box fuse #4 and the headlight connector.

the harness will have to be opened from the 2 points to locate the open fuse

also, check at the back of the fuse panel to see for loose connection there too as this is common.

i have included a wiring diagram for your reference.

let me know what you find and we will go from there

hi there

how did your repair go?

please dont forget to rate me!

thanks

cam

I am taking this to a mechanic to fix it a little more than I can do in my drive way this time of year

ok,

let me know what they find as i always like to know the outcomes of your repairs.

i would appreciate a rating if you feel i helped you in the right direction

thanks

cam